Skins failure changing from very old to 5

For years I was using a very old version of KB since it did everything I needed and saw no reason to update. I recently acquired a Windows 11 laptop, moved the old appdata KB folder to the new appdata folder and installed 5 over it. All my old listings transfered but I find I'm unable to change from the default skin. I see the folder structures are significantly different and don't know how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. There may be other problems I haven't discovered yet but I'm hoping an answer to this will indicate a path to take.

Thanks

4 comments.

Andrew Langford   2 months ago

Do you see the following skins when you run options as a keyword and click the Skin tab? If you copied the old appdata folder over, I'm wondering if it's using old skins that are no longer compatible.

Are you able to save keywords, notes, and other settings? Is it just changing skins that doesn't save?

d4l3d   2 months ago

Thanks for getting back to me.

Skins are listed in options in the new install. That's where I have been attempting to switch skins by highlighting a choice, choosing as default, exiting and restarting.
The skins list in each instance, old and new, are different so this must be a coding change as you suggest. Wouldn't a new install point to and load the new skins? I didn't transfer the old skins folder over. Maybe there's a file in the appdata folder to alter or delete?
BTW, Skins typed in KB went to a Google search with no letter command preface. Obviously that's something else I have to fix.

Notes, keywords, etc. appear to work properly.

Both old and new computers are still up and running so I'm able to make direct comparisons, if necessary.

d4l3d   2 months ago

Nothing? I still haven't located the problem, however, I don't know enough to know what I'm doing.

Andrew Langford   1 month ago

It's difficult to tell without knowing which version you came from and which folders from the old version were copied over. This article -- https://keybreeze.com/forum/post/23 -- has steps on how to transfer settings between machines, along with updating from version 4 to 5. Copying the entire Keybreeze4 or Keybreeze5 folder is recommended and is expected to work, but if you copied some folders/files and not everything, such as the skins folder, that will most likely cause some issues.

I would recommend closing Keybreeze Desktop, renaming the %appdata%\keybreeze5 folder (back up the file to a separate location as well), uninstalling it, and then installing a fresh version with the default settings. You can then compare the working settings in the new %appdata%\keybreeze5 folder with the non-working settings in the previous folder that you renamed. A quick fix would likely be to copy the keywords.json, lettercommands.json, notes folder, and text functions folder from the old folder that you renamed to the new %appdata%/keybreeze5 folder, overwriting the existing files. That should give you most of your old settings with new skins and settings from the new installation.